k-Drill® C6 is a natural potassium chloride product (KCl) specifically for use as a shale inhibitor that offers stronger and safer borehole stability in shale and clay environments. It is more effective than sodium salts at repressing swelling and dispersion.
k-Drill® C6 is added to cement slurries for application in water-sensitive shales and clays. By preventing clay swelling, k-Drill® C6 helps improve the cement/formation bond. For these applications, k-Drill® C6 is effective in a wide temperature range. Typical k-Drill® C6 concentrations are 2 to 7 % by weight of water. k-Drill® C6 can have a slight influence on the effectiveness of fluid-loss additives and dispersants, and on cement setting time.
When combined with sodium chloride (NaCl) for higher densities, it is important to monitor and analise the potassium and sodium ratio.
The benefits of using k-Drill® C6 include:
- Helps to prevent clay swelling in the presence of water
- Helps minimize fines migration
- Helps promote a better bond between the cement and the formation
- Slightly accelerates cement setting time
- Highly soluble in water
- Supply of continuously same pure quality
- Efficient, safe and economic source of potassium ion
- Does not significantly interact with viscosifiers and filtration controllers
k-Drill® – German quality, reliable services
Quality, reliability and trust are what k-Drill® stands for. It combines an excellent product quality with our worldwide renowned services, which are designed to match your demands and logistic challenges.