Aug 19, 2010
Did you know that...?
- ... during the first half of the 16th century, Spanish explorers brought the first potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) back to Europe, from their trips to the Andes?
- ... potatoes were initially imported as ornamental plants for European botanical gardens, as their pretty flowers and lush foliage were thought to be very attractive?
- ... table potatoes belong to the nightshade family (Solanaceae), and are related to peppers, tomatoes, eggplants and tobacco?
- ... today, there are 4,000 to 5,000 potato varieties, while new, improved varieties are constantly developed?
- ... worldwide, an average of 300 million tons of potatoes are harvested and marketed every year (and the trend is rising), turning potatoes into one of the foremost staple foods in large parts of the world?
- ... on average, every German citizen consumes approximately 70 kg of potatoes per year?